Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

opensource licence - please explain

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom_hanks

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
opensource licence

Hello Experts,
From Long time I am having a question about the opensource..

What is the meaning of GPL license..

example web designer source--joomla..

can i use this software to create a website...
is everything is free for opensource user???

similarly, can I use the opensource graphic-animation software..
what are the restriction of using this software??

can I sell this software to third party?

please help me out...
I have tried to understand three page license, but got more confuse..

Tom

GPL is one of the very familiar open source license preferred by community people. coz of the transparency. It gives all the 4 freedoms to the users. ie, freedom to view the source code, freedom to modify it, freedom to enhance it and freedom to redistribute it.

Once you used any one of the GPL licensed software, for example Joomla, then you can use it for any purpose include commercial. The moto of the GPL Is, suppose you create a additional work or module or what ever based on this GPL based open source tool, then your additional work(ie, your derivative work) should be released under GPL License. However, you need to disclose your source code when you sale it for your customer. Many of the commercial products which is derived from GPL now comes-up with dual license method.

All the above terms only suitable for GPL license. There are hundreds of GPL licenses are available. Please check it in opensource.org. Reg the Graphics based open source, please check whether it has released under GPL or any other license. I guess, most of the art works, documentations released under CC license or others.

-Prakash
https://ethicstech.in
**broken link removed** - Development, Consultant, Support, Services & Training

Status
Not open for further replies.