Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Open source hardware quiestion for professional application

Status
Not open for further replies.

charith

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,

I know this is not the best place to post this question.
But i would appreciate if someone could respond about this.

I would like to know the possibility of having designs made by Altium Designer (not free) and distribute in Open Source license such as Creative Commons Share Alike ? As you are aware of that Altium now has a free viewer and of course providing Gerber files would comply with OSHW standards ?

Alternatively, if used Eagle, can i distribute with Creative Commons - Share Alike ? The reason is Eagle state that free version is only for Academic purposes only and not for commercial usage.

Thanks!

The Cadsoft web site gives more details of what the Freeware version can be used for - non-profit - although it is a bit ambiguous as it mentions "... to make (or save) money ..." but the use of the Freeware version saves all users money by not having to buy it!

My feeling about their intention is that it is ok for you to use it as you say. They have deliberately made the Freeware version capable of viewing and printing circuits larger than the Freeware limits. Features like that would normally be disabled on a Freeware.

It might be worthwhile contacting Cadsoft in Germany and asking them.

Keith

Thank you Keith. Problem solved. I carefully checked their website and some other sources in the web discussing about this issue. As long as we provide binaries (software can be open source or not) + the software that used to generate it and the file types are well documented and acceptable by the developer community it should be treated as open source supported file.

Hope this help someone else in the future too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back