Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

OPAMP's Open-Loop Phase Margin vs Close-Loop Phase Margin

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanlee8414

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
There is a weird problem I can't explain.
First, I design an opamp that the Open-Loop PM is around 5 degree on purpose.
Then, this opamp is connected like a unity-gain buffer and a pulse is given at input.
There is NO RINGING , No OVERSHOOT/UNDERSHOOT at output and it is very smooth just like PM > 60 .
I guess there exists some non-linearity between output-stage and input-pairs.
Does output impedance and input capacitance make this unity-gain buffer become stable ?

Re: OPAMP's Open-Loop Phase Margin vs Close-Loop Phase Margi

I don't think so because these parasitic values are also effective during open loop simulations - if these simulations are performed correctly!!!.
It would be best to show the circuit under test as well as the open-loop simulation arrangement.

The attached file is the simulation results.

I've found something interesting.

When the opamp is compensated by Miller R&C , the open-loop AC sim doesn't match close-loop step response , shown in the attached file.

However , while only using Miller C without R , the open-loop AC sim matches closed-loop step response which means PM=5 at open-loop and it does ring at step response.

I don't understand the first test circuit.
Do you intend to simulate the open loop response? Why feedback resistors with what values? Different values for ac and dc ? Which amount of capacitive loading?

In Hspice Netlist

RF Vo V- DC=1u AC=100G # DC R=1u ohm ; AC R=100G ohm
RI V- Vref DC=100G AC=1u # AC R=1u ohm ; DC R=100G ohm

that means it only feedback DC operating point to V- instead of AC.
It is similar to use RC low-pass-filter or LC low-pass-filter to feed DC back.

Any idea about the simulation results ?

Added after 2 minutes:

one more thing , the capacitive load is 10pF

I am not familiar with HSpice. Therefore my question:
Is it really possible in HSpice to use a resistor with different values - depending on the kind of analysis?

I understand that you have problems to match results from ac and tran analyses, right?

You have mentioned that you - purposely - have designed a PM of only 5 deg.
Are you really sure about that value (because it is rather close to the critical limit).
More than that, you cannot (blindly) trust results from ac analyses because sometimes stability is indicated (PM positive), whereas under real conditions the circuit is unstable. In the first picture there is at high frequencies (10 MHz?) a peak with a phase excursion which seems to be critical.
On the other hand, perhaps it must be attributet to the non-ideal open-loop test arrangement with a capacitive load (try to remove it). To be honest, I don't trust your scheme with the 100Gohms resistors.
I recommend to use one of the classical loop gain simulation arrangements.
If you are interested in the unity gain configuration only, put a resistor (100k) between output and (-) input and ground the (-) input with a large capacitor (1...100 Farad).
Regards and good luck.
LvW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back