Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

OpAmp design for SC-integrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodrave

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
op amp integrator design

Hello,

for a school project, we have to design an OpAmp for a switched-capacitor integrator. The goal is to design the OpAmp for the first integrator (see picture) with the following constraints:

-clock frequency: 50 MHz
-3.3V
-Choose Vcm and Vcm,in as good as possible

I'm not looking for someone who gives me a finished circuit, but rather for some directions on how to start.
I already did some research, and found that your GBWP should at least be 10 times fclock, so that would be 500 MHz here. Is that a good choise?
For the voltage Vcm,in , I suspect it to be as low as possible. Depending on the circuit this would be something like 2*Vdsat. And for Vcm: half the Vdd voltage: 1.65 V. This allows a maximal swing.

Furthermore, I'm not sure what the load capacity is for the first integrator. I calculated 4.5 pF, but I'm not sure of that.

And for the topology, I suggest it would be good to use an OTA, since the load is completely capacitive. But I'll probably need a second stage to obtain a good gain...

Can someone tell me if I'm thinking in the good direction here, or is this all completely wrong?

cheers,

Bert

sc integrator

What i feel is a simple op amp can be made using a differential amplifier circuit too. Use a current mirror to act as a constant current source. Bias your transistors, Obtain gain value. Check for the stability of the system. Get gain margin , phase margin. Get the unity buffer characters. If everything is satisfactory then use frequency compensation to increase the bandwidth so as to obtain an optimum gain bandwidth product.

integrator design

Hey, thank you for you answer.
I already made something (see picture). Could this work? The dimensioning is not right yet, so I haven't tested this circuit.
But I'm a bit unsure about the specs. What exactly should I do for the fact that it's an SC-integrator. Is this just important in the beginning (capacitive load, slew-rate,...) or are there other special things that need to be done for such an OpAmp?
How much should the GBWP be? And how much is the capacitive load?

cheers,

Bert

project on opamp as integrator

The circuit should work. The W/L variation can also be done in simple multiples of 50/2 or so.

For a 1st order design, you can take the parameters as:
1)SR = 10 V/usec
2)Av = 5000 V/V
3)GB = 5 MHz
4)CL = 10 pF
5)Pdiss < 0.3 mWatt
6)ICMR+ = 1.5 Volt
7)ICMR- = 0.2 Volt

capacitive load integrator

Thanks for the reaction shainky!
I was just wondering if the GBWP of 5MHz is enough for this circuit? I didn't have the time to try it out yet, but I'll do it as soon as possible, and post the results.

cheers,

Bert

I also have the same question: "Is the the GBWP of 5MHz enough for the 50MHz sample frequency? ". In my opinion, the GBWP should be at least 5 times fclock, that is 25MHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back