Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

OP-amp mounted ? but why ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zubeen

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I bought arduino board using atmega8 micro controller and i got IR sensing boards with it. the board are mounted with an op-amp LM358. I am not getting the purpose of that op-amp. please explain !

I bought arduino board using atmega8 micro controller and i got IR sensing boards with it. the board are mounted with an op-amp LM358. I am not getting the purpose of that op-amp. please explain !

Op amps are of great importance in electronics, they can be used for may applications. I think the 358 op amp is used to amplify the input to the board.

In IR sensors LM358 Op amp is used as a comparator.

yes i have read some where about comparators but i dont really know what the are......
please explain ! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Untitled.pngOK OK maybe i got it ,
The sensor board on it have a potentiometer so the when we change the pot meter's resistance the reference level to the op-amp must be changing. when different intensities of ir are sensed by photo diode it must be producing different decrements in voltage across it . but whenever this voltage across the photodiode must be getting greater or lower to that being input to the op amp (as a reference level ) the op-amp must be telling by giving 1 or 0 .
Am i right ? if yes this must be the circuit diagram.
but there is one capacitor also ? why ?

Your description of a comparator is correct. The output switches depending on if the input voltage is above or below the reference voltage. The capacitor, if connected to the reference signal acts as a filter to stabilize the reference. If it's connected to the OP-AMP power supply input, it is acting as a decoupling cap and is helping to quiet the power supply noise.

Reactions: Zubeen

Zubeen

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thank you , but if same condition appears before me .... how should i then decide the rating of my capacitor to reduce the noise ?
i have usually seen using 104 but whats the logic behind ?

I don't remember where I read/heard/learned it but I have always used 0.1uF capacitors for decoupling the power supply and 1.0uF capacitors to stabilize the reference voltage. Just a rule-of-thumb I picked up someplace that has worked fine for meover the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back