Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

on alterastratix 2 can we do this

Status
Not open for further replies.

citizen

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi
im using altera stratix 2 fpga which is having 4 enhanced plls and 8 faster plls.
can i by using this fpga can i generate 980 Msps clock by using 2 mhz reference clock
(sorry may any technical terms may be wrong because im new to fpga coding and i have to design dqpsk modulator to get if of 240 mhz at output at the dac,any one clarify my doubt and help me )

thank you

If your input clock is only 2 MHz I think you'll have some throuble in make it as input in PLL.
All PLL have a bandwith beyond the limit of it they don't work.
I'm not user of the one of Stratix 2 (you should check on Altera web site) but usually it's nothing under 16MHz.
Moreover you shall consider to input a FPGA with faster CLK expecially if you need to raise your frequency so high.

Moreover 980Msps = 980 Mega Sample per Second, but i think you mean something different.
I mean 1Msps = 10^6 each 1MHz clk.

Stratic II PLL supports input clock down to 2 MHz. 980 MHz VCO frequency would be available only with fastest speed grade, but the regular logic core can't work at that frequency. There are howver other techniques as combining phase shifted clocks, using dual-edge registers or dedicated serializer hardware. 240 MHz DQPSK should be possible anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back