Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Old SMPS design brought back to life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupoftea

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Please can you ratify this old offline, single stage, PFC'd SMPS design, which never gained popularity despite being around some 10 years ago.........its a single stage, isolated , PFC’d SMPS and can do 150W from a PQ26/25 and no other magnetic components. Its one that I actually saw many years ago, but since its so dis-used, I thought to start using it, since it only has one small magnetic component. I can not draw it, but can explain it to you so you can draw it yourself if you wish?.....

Firstly imagine a Boost PFC, followed by a Forward converter…and then “roll them both into one”…as follows….

1…First of all, draw a Boost converter PFC with the usual inrush diode from mains bridge output to the output capacitor.

2…Make the Boost PFC’s output diode a synchronous rectifier FET.

3…Now add a secondary coil to the Boost’s inductor.

4….Add a secondary side two-diode rectifier, but make it capacitor coupled from the secondary coil, so that it can transmit power to the output on both power “strokes”. Make the secondary side rectifier diodes synchronous if you wish.

5…Be sure to have a large leakage inductance in this transformer, since that leakage inductance will now act as the Boost PFC’s inductor. This leakage inductance will also act as the forward converter’s output inductor.

6…Switch the two primary FETs as you would a synchronous Buck’s. That is, as anti-phase pulse trains, with 500ns or so of dead time.

7…. Be sure that volt.seconds(ON) = volt.seconds(OFF) for the transformer primary. (you need software control so you can assure that this always holds) You can then vary the power throughput by varying the frequency.

For example, for say a 37V output, with 100-265VAC in, you would have Lp=480uH, Ls = 7.5uH and Leakage inductance with sec shorted measures as 70uH.
__---___

Years ago the company where I worked was trying to do a patent for this. Why did it never get popular?
BTW, it definitely worked, I ran it at 150W output (37v) from 75VAC to 265VAC. Obviously it had a few volts of 100Hz ripple on its 37V output. The transformer was just a PQ26/25.

Last edited:

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.