Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Notes on Quadrifilar antenna !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ping-pong

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
steve blackmore antenna

Hi,

Can somebody gives some useful information regarding quadrifilar antenna or some kind of notes on it. Have'nt found any useful information on the internet.

Hi,

I wonder if the info on page **broken link removed**
or on page **broken link removed** or on page http://www.jcoppens.com/ant/qfh/index.en.php are of any good for you?

You can find an on-line calculator for this kind of antenna at http://www.jcoppens.com/ant/qfh/calc.en.php

You can find a construction manual on a particular design at **broken link removed**

If you are still unsatisfied, then you may use the search facility at http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/Xplore/DynWel.jsp where you can freely read the Abstracts of your search result (at the Antennas and Propagation section of course) and in case you find an article promising then you may ask for it at the IEEE paper Forum here; someone will probably upload it.

unkarc

Hi Unkarc,
thanks for your links. I'm quite new for the world of the quadrifilar antenna. I'm involved in microstrip antenna design.
I want to ask u a couple of questions:
- for what concerns the Polarization purity, do u think to achieve better results using a quadrifilar or a patch antenna with two inputs?

- do u work on array configuration of quadrifilar antennas? I work on phased array and I want to know if there is some cool link (like yours) for what concerns the phased array design.

Thanks in advance
Lupin

Dear Lupin,

As a matter of fact, I am also a newcomer on this type of antenna and cannot give practical answers to your questions. :(

Actually I spent 10 minutes with google to see how much info if any can be found on it on the web and collected the most useful-looking pages. These pages seem really helpful for a person good at normal antenna theory.
I have built and tuned in practice normal dipoles, ground planes, yagis and rhombic antennas as part of my amateur radio hobby. Satellite reception is not really of interest for me, though am familiar with that topic.

What I can suggest is trying to put your questions to Steve Blackmore for instance whose e-mail is included at the bottom part of the pilotltd.net page, or he may advise someone else. I do not know him.

Also, there is an authority on this antenna (among some others), see **broken link removed** you could write to him too. His e-mail is on his page. His book, Reflections 2, includes a very good text on this antenna, see his Chapter 22 on the same page. It is downloadable!

My opinion is that this type of antenna is a very well-thought-out type for satellite communication and as such its polarization performance must be excellent. Regarding its usage in array configuration : it should not differ from the general rules valid for normal arrays, this could be figured out by modeling in antenna software.
The difficulty in modeling, however, comes from the curved shapes, though it has been done in HFSS for a single quadrifilar, see paper by Mike Gilbert at **broken link removed**
There must be other softwares suitable for modeling this type of antenna, I have no further info on them.

Maybe the aboves are of some help, I hope.

unkarc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back