Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Notch filter using negative resitance

Status
Not open for further replies.

stenzer

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm trying to realize a "narrow" notch filter which should operate in the lower MHz - range. Therefore I need a large inductance. This results in a low Q.
I read that it is possible to enhance the Q by adding a negative resistance with a transistor.

Can anyone tell my how to design such a filter?

Thanks

Yes is possible to do this mechanism to enhance the Q of the resonator. The circuit is basically a feedback amplifier with variable gain.

If we take a simple LC tank as a notch filter...

Q is a result of L:C ratio interacting with neighboring impedances.

The available current has a lot to do with determining which LC ratio will be most suitable.

Hi,

thank you for your replies. I tried to realize the negative resistance with a current sink, by changing its Drain voltage. Unfortunately it doesn't work well. Is there a better (and simple) way do enhance the Q?

BR

Status
Not open for further replies.