Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Non Constant phase difference between Microstrip lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

rascalangel

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Everyone,

I am doing a project which involves Butler Matrix feed. As i was designing the feed i encountered that the slope at which the phase v/s frequency plot changes varied with ports. As such the phase difference between ports was not remaining constant wrt frequency. When i tried with two simple microstrip lines of different lengths (45 deg phase difference) but same width i still got varying phase difference. I cannot figure out why this is happening. I have attached the screenshots for reference.

I am using IE3D v14.Please Help.

When i tried with two simple microstrip lines of different lengths (45 deg phase difference) but same width i still got varying phase difference.

This is the expected result for lines of different length.

This is the expected result for lines of different length.

Thanks for the reply. Are you saying that rate of change of phase v/s frequency depends on length too other than width and height of substrate? The individual phases at output will be different ,true, but phase difference should be constant right?

Are you saying that rate of change of phase v/s frequency depends on length too

Yes, of course.

The individual phases at output will be different ,true, but phase difference should be constant right?

Your "phase difference" is also caused by the line length, and thus the phase difference will scale with frequency. Very simple.

Yes, of course.

Your "phase difference" is also caused by the line length, and thus the phase difference will scale with frequency. Very simple.

Ok makes sense. is there any way i can have a constant phase difference??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back