Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Noise Figure measurement for LNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murlix

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have done a LNA design for 0.8-1dB noise figure. How do i test the LNA using spectrum analyser? pls guide me the way to setup the equipment?

what is the brand of ur equipments , and do u have noise figure measuremnt option and do u have a noise source ?

khouly

**broken link removed**

U shd have noise source and FFT option in the SA(Its by default).Get the output displayed on the SA in FFT format and find the maximum peak at the desired frequency and max peak at the base level.The difference between will get u the noise ratio. Just try it. or use noise source and compare with the output signal and using the formula of SNR(just check this) u will get it.

0.8 dB is a very good and very low value.
When NF values are so low, the uncertainty became dominant.
The keys to do a measurement (not say good measurement) is the followings:
1) an accurate Noise Source
2) a Noise Figure Meter
3) leave the SA to people working with 5 dB NF or worse.
4) read Agilent AN57-1 and 57-2

I think you will check input noise source level and just read the output level at a specified frequency. Since you know the amplifier gain, you can calculate the noise figure.

I think the best bet is to follow sergio mariotti's suggestions.

Murlix said:
I have done a LNA design for 0.8-1dB noise figure. How do i test the LNA using spectrum analyser? pls guide me the way to setup the equipment?

if you have input losses at the input of your LNA due to cable or pcb losses etc., you have to calibrate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.