Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Noise Figure calculation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick520

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am recently reading a book, "CMOS Cellular receiver front-ends from specification to realization " by Johan Janssens。 In the subset 3.5.2, page41, there is a description as below:

“The required noise figure of the complete receive path is 8.87 dB, of which 3 dB has already been
assigned to the LNA. Taking into account the 18 dB gain of the LNA, the required noise figure
for the quadrature down-converter becomes 25.6 dB. However, in order to get some margin, the
noise figure specification of the receive path has been set to 5 dB, requiring a noise figure less
than 18.6 dB from the quadrature down-converter. For a single down-converter this boils down
to a required noise figure of 21.6 dB, provided that all the output noise between DC and 200 kHz
is taken into account. The detailed proof is given in Subsection A.3.2. ”

The system is of antenna,LNA, mixer cascoded.
But I calculate the required NF for mixer in the case of total NF of 8.87dB, but I cannot get the result of 25.6dB. What I get is a little more than 16dB. I just wonder what is wrong with my calculation formulation. The forms I calculated is Ftotal=Flna(1+s)+(Fssb,mixer -2)/A. The s is the image rejection, A is the gain of LNA, and Fssb,mixer is the noise factor in the case of single side band. I calculate the noise factor first, and then convert it into noise figure. I hope someone help me find my error. Thanks in advance.

In order to do the calculation you can use the Friis formula, that is:

NFtot = NFlna + (NFmixer - 1)/Glna

all expressed in linear, not in dB (of course linear = 10^(dB/10))

substituting your figures:

7.71 = 2 + (NFmixer - 1)/63.1

Solving with repect to NFmixer:

NFmixer = 5.71*63.1 + 1 = 361.301 linear units

NFmixer(dB) = 10*log10(361.301) = 25.6 dB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back