Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

No coupling capacitor???

Status
Not open for further replies.

lna.fyp

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello everyone, i came across a paper on distributed amplifer and they havent used any input coupling capacitor in their design. so is the design practical without using coupling capacitor. here is the link to the paper

**broken link removed**

and here is the design itself

The circuit needs coupling capacitors at the input, and also at the output.

so it means this design is wrong?

No, is not. Just didn't show those caps.

can we calculate s parameters without this coupling capacitor and assume that it would be off chip?

S parameters must be calculated considering coupling capacitors, where they could be on or off chip, because S parameters performance is changed by adding an element, mainly S11 and S22 respectively. On the other hand, is your intention is to get amplifier performance, you can assume ideal capacitors, but they must be considered for physical implementation.

Reactions: rbh

rbh

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
can we calculate s parameters without this coupling capacitor and assume that it would be off chip?
Yes, if the freq is not high and the inductance of the capacitor is very small, the capacitor can be neglected.

i m working on 0.1G to 2.7GHz, can i neglect? cuz im designing a distributed lna, and even if i add coupling capactior at input in the basic distributed topology the gain s21 gets negative,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back