Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Nios and TCP/IP stack

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdhar

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I was wondering if anyone had come across a TCP/IP stack for the Original NIOS, not NIOS II? Ideally, I would like to find a stack with a driver for the opencores MAC, but I can only find LWIP for Nios II.

Hello jdhar,

There are some companies which are selling TCP/IP stacks for Nios. But I think you are looking for a free solution, don’t you? I think there is no reason that you can’t use lwip with Nios. “lwip” is C-Code so you can compile it for Nios too.

Bye,
cube007

Ya, I'm definitely looking for a free solution - I know lwip is C code, but they don't have an opencores driver, do they? It seems like such a common thing, you would think someone would have done it by now...

Mmh, I think there have been some posts in the www.niosforum.com about that topic.

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Ya, they advertise that microtronix pack on that forum pretty heavily - I checked out that driver for OC however. It seems like it could work ,but it seems like it's meant to be built with the LWIP provided by Altera. i think it's the same LWIP, but slightly modified for NIOS II, which is why I'm not sure if it would work or not. I was *hoping* someone had already done this... but given that it's unlikely, I will just offer my dev. board with a big discount for anyone who can port it (already posted on my other thread).

Thanks for your help cube :)

jdhar said:
I was wondering if anyone had come across a TCP/IP stack for the Original NIOS, not NIOS II? Ideally, I would like to find a stack with a driver for the opencores MAC, but I can only find LWIP for Nios II.

Do you use any OS for your NIOS II project?
The @ltera FAE recommend ECOS for NIOS II project, as I know, the common ECOS should be networking supported, but I am not sure if the ECOS for NIOS II supports TCP/IP.

eCos is supporting different TCP/IP stacks and different NICs. The configuration tool of eCos is doing a lot of work for the developers but if you want to build up a stable and fast system a lot of knowledge and work is needed. IMO that’s the matter with all operating systems in the embedded world.

cdcll said:
jdhar said:

Do you use any OS for your NIOS II project?
The @ltera FAE recommend ECOS for NIOS II project, as I know, the common ECOS should be networking supported, but I am not sure if the ECOS for NIOS II supports TCP/IP.

as I mentioned, I need a stack for NIOS I, not II - there seems to be quite a bit of support for NIOS II, but the license is quite expensive :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back