Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Nidec brushless dc motor test

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshh

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have 3 coils brushless dc motor with its driver but i don't know which part is fault so i want to apply directly 24 volt on the motor windings. I there any problem? will i corrupt it ? will it work?

As long as you designed it to carry 24V, you might as well apply power manually for a brief instant. See if it draws as many Amperes as you expect. Hold the coil between your fingers. Stop the test when it gets hot after a few seconds (depending on power consumption).

To be safe, disconnect other components when you do this test.

This is similar to applying full voltage to a stalled motor. The risk is that you'll overheat the coil, cause expansion of parts, burnt varnish, short circuited windings, etc.

Hi,

I assume a brushless DC motor (without driving circuit) will draw too much power, because it is not made for DC at the coils.
It has very low DC resistance.

Please limit the current to the rated curreng, then you are safe.

Klaus

I applied 24 v on one terminal and gnd on the other terminal but no current drawn nothing happened. i measured resistance between windings 2.3 ohm for each.

Obviously there must be a bad contact somewhere. Possibly a broken wire.

Did you remove enough insulation at the ends? It's a human tendency to scratch away just a minimum amount of enamel.

My clips have spaces between the jaw teeth. It's easy for them to miss their grip on very thin wires. Often I need to try several times to get a good contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back