Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Newb alert - looking for some 101 pointers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khan_Kluay

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm a professional programmer for the last ~12 years and programming a bit longer, and now I'm trying to learn more about EE. I know some basics, Ohms law and stuff like that, but that's about it as EE goes.

I'm currently going through this material here (can't post links yet, since I'm new to this forum!) - MIT EE courseware on academicearth (org).

I'm also brushing up on my physics. What I would like to do eventually is PCB design and manufacturing (on a smaller scale) - think of broadcasting equipment, maybe an IC controller for something here and there. I know it's a large task, but I have a passion for it (for now ;-) ).

So, I would like to know if you can recommend me some PCB design software and most importantly, if there is such a thing, PCB/IC simulation software. So that I could simulate what I've done with my design before I etch it away. I'm looking for something that is affordable (maybe up to a few $k) and easy to understand.

Also, if you have some other links/pointers for EE newbs, please share them - I haven't noticed a sticky post with links with such things.

Thank you!

I would suggest Proteus which is good in simulation
Eagle is good PCB software.

in electronics there are some fields that you may have narrow down..
RF design..
Analog design
digital design
embedded

now your product is broadcasting equipment which need RF and embedded
if its correct we will go ahead with that..

There are many simulation and PCB design packages available. For an inexpensive approach, try .

Thanks guys for suggestions, I'll try with Proteus and EWB NI Multisim.

nikhilele: No RF Design. I'm more interested in stuff like aja and black-magic design do (switchboards, capture cards), basically embedded (might do it through FPGA). It's a somewhat distant future for now, I'm still on basics.

Thanks again!

No matter which type of design you do transmission line theory will go a long way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back