Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New to the board and I'm looking for a little direction for an H bridge circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

pat h

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm need a current amplifier to boost a 12v signal that runs an actuator - leads change polarity to change direction with zero voltage being stopped. I tried an H bridge made up of cube relays, but it cycles too much and the relay life is about 16 hours. An FET H bridge looks like it would work, but I'm not sure my rotating polarity input signal is compatible - seems like normally it just uses an switch to select direction or a pwm signal to turn it on more often or less often. I now realize why I changed majors from EE to ME, but I still need a booster. It's likely I'm not thinking about this right and I'd appreciate any direction. I really didn't find an older post that fit my application so I thought I'd ask.

For those familiar with ag electronics I'm basically taking the output of a raven flow control console that normally runs a small motor controlled valve (1 amp max) and instead trying to control a 10amp linear actuator that controls a 6" ball valve. I have a pwm signal output available, but it isn't configurable to reverse the motor direction (only speed it up or slow it down).

thanks,

Pat

One idea is to reproduce an additional H-bridge using 4 MOSFETs. The schematic is shown below:

Attachments

• Hb2.JPG
    Hb2.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 74

Thanks, it looks pretty simple - the reversing polarity of p1/p2 would turn on different mosfets to determine motor direction. what is the 'turn on' voltage for the mosfets/what value do r1/r2 need to be? p1/p2 is +/- 12 vdc and U1 would be 12v as well.

thanks again,

Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back