Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New technique for pulse-width functions

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdc18

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey all,

I am beginning to write a paper on a new technique for making pulse-width generators on FPGAs and I was hoping I could get some help connecting it to the current state-of-the-art and get suggestions for some applications.

My circuits use a new technique for laying out logic elements. Each circuit maps an input pulse of width w_{in} to an output pulse of width w_{out} through any arbitrary function f(w_{in})=w_{out}. The function f can be linear, quadratic, etc. and the resolution of the function is the minimum gate delay ~300ps. Again, this is an asynchronous circuit, so there is little to no latency.

What similar technologies are out there?
What applications can this have? I have been using it for an arbitrary pulse-width doubling circuit, but I suspect there are better applications in other areas of engineering.

I am also looking for helpful references for my paper.

Thanks!

The problem with anything asynchronous on an FPGA is that the delay is affected by many things: Process, voltage, temperature and Place and Route.
You can lock down the P&R yourself, but you have no control over the other three.

How will your circuit overcome these delay/timing issues?
What about the routing delay?

PS. Gate Delay not really a term applicable to FPGAs. It has no internal gates - just LUTs that can map to many gates.

I agree that temp., voltage, etc. can affect the timing of performing logic operations through the LUTs. Right now, my technique is just a proof-of-concept. I have developed the theory for why it should work and used the FPGA as a platform to test it. Ultimately, an ASIC could be created (with much more control over these parameters) for each pulse-width function that is desired.

Also, as far at the place and route, I can control these, in addition to the paths through the individual LUTs. However, these factors only lead to small discontinuities in the function f(w_{in}) = w_{out}, and the global function retains its shape even if I let the optimizer do its thing.

I guess I am asking, what could this be used for? What is similar that is out there?

Right now, the only types of pulse-width control circuits that I know of seem to be limited by the clock or some other on-board oscillator.

Thanks!

Each circuit maps an input pulse of width w_{in} to an output pulse of width w_{out} through any arbitrary function f(w_{in})=w_{out}. The function f can be linear, quadratic, etc.

If both inputs and outputs signals are in the PWM format, you´re certainly aware that the range of these function should be limited to full scale of the pulse width, in supposing that the gain of the function is >1.

A circuit like that could be used to compensate the non linearity read from some measure but I particularly can't see any application on what a predetermined simple function would be used ( linear, quadratic, etc... ) having just one of these components. In general the electric phenomena happens behaving much more like a polynomial model, whose weight parameters differs in each case.

Reactions: sdc18

sdc18

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
If both inputs and outputs signals are in the PWM format, you´re certainly aware that the range of these function should be limited to full scale of the pulse width, in supposing that the gain of the function is >1.

What do you mean by "PWM format"? For my circuit, I inject a single pulse in and get out a single pulse. There is no repetition.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by this? Why is the range limited to the scale of the pulse-width? I can make the pulse grow without a limiting range with a function w_{out} = f(w_{in}) = 2*w_{in}. For my technique, the limit on w_{out} is the number of logic elements I use.

Ok, I did not realize the working of this function; I presumed that would be applicable to digital systems such as modulation that commonly operate cyclically processing a stream of pulses.

Anyway, though obvious, I was just mentioning that the width of the pulse on output should be smaller than interval to the subsequent sample.

Reactions: sdc18

sdc18

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back