Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New beginning in embedded system

Status
Not open for further replies.

thuyet

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all!
I am electronic engineer.I already learn about ASIC,FPGA(VHDL).I very very want to research about embedded system but I can't find a point to start.So someone who have experience ,please give me some advises and which I should begin.I think This is also very good for everybody who want to begin like me.
please help me.
Thank milion times. :D

hello
choose a microcontroller get its book and start reading and this will give u an appropriate start,,i guess u can start with 8051
if u need any help let me know

You study in electronics engineering , i think you should ever learned about microcontroller before (such as 8051, pic , avr). The microcontroller , in other word can be called Embedded system.

If you want to know more about ES -->

www.embedded.com

yes I did.I learned and work some projects about MCU using 8051 .But AVR,PIC I don't. As you said in other word.Now I understood.

Thank a lot!

once u have gone through the boooks, ucan go through these simulators

helo my friend...
this page is good for those who want to get an idea on embedded using microcontroller
**broken link removed**

enjoy it.....

thuyet

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanx a lot..... I joined lately ...I missed a lot of discussions .

To know about embedded system you can go through various emebedded books posted here. One such book is O reilly book on Embedded system. Other one is Michael J Ponts book on Embedded system. If you need those books you can tell me. I can provide you.

i think you can start from MCS-51 or AVR, i've started learn uController from AVR (ATMega 8535) and Code Vision AVR for programming the AVR. Using Code Vision AVR is the easiest way to learn uController.

8051 is the best place to start.. gain some expertise then move on to PICs and AVRs etc..

There are lots of site. U can search through google. But as u told that u already have knowledge about ASIC and FPGA then I think u sholud also have the knowledge of embedded system.
For embedded system u choose a 8051 controller to start and also parallelly learn RTOS, "Quing Li" book on RTOS is very good. U can start with it.

Since you are an EE, find an Eval or Development board that might have a CPLD or FPGA on it, maybe look on the Xilinx web site. Why, because then you can write code for an FPGA that you know how to design.

If you don't care about interfacing to a CPLD or FPGA, then buy a single board eval or development board of some type. www.circuitcellar.com and digikey.com

I have been writing code and design hardware for about 20 years. 8-bit microcontrollers are great for small projects, but heck these days you can buy 32-bit ARM processors for not much more. I personally hate the 8031/8051 family...Intel should be hit with a big stick...the 6502 family is way better...but unfortunately never got as popular. The AVR and PIC are good ones to choose because there are lots of vendors and books about them. I currently prefer the ARM processor, which is very popular for larger embedded projects.

It all comes down to:
what you want to do with the micro?
what type of I/O you will need?
does size or power matter, if not then just go with an ARM?
do you need a RTOS?
do you need a lot of flash or ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back