Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New 7200 rpm IDE hard drive patch for Linux RH 7.3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

willyboy19

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I bought a new machine recently which features in 7200 rpm IDE hard drive. I installed RH 7.3 Linux in it and its seems work fine. But I was told that RH 7.3 is too old to fully support the current fast and huge hard disk. To optimize the new hard disk access time, certain patch needs to be installed on RH 7.3.

Does anyone know where to find and how to install those patches? The problem I have might be quite common to the newer generation PC's which, unfortunately, still need to run Linux RH 7.3 for EDA support reasons.

Willy

New 7200 rpm IDE hard drive fix for Linux RH 7.3?

try to update the kernel ..

It seems 7.3 really has problem when coping with large and fast disk. I encountered several crashs with the original version. Because Xilinx ISE 6.2 only support up to this version. I also have to stick to it. (Nor sure anybody here tried higher version of linux with success)

I upgraded my kernel to the latest 2.4 family(2.4.26). And it seems quite stable until now. (The only issue after my upgradation is that when i shutdown my PC, it stops at the last step. I have to manually poweroff.). I'v not tried 2.6. It looks like the change is quite significant.

Hope this help

regards

Just out of curiosity, why are you using a distribution that's at least 2 years old? Why not check out Fedora Core 2 (if you're a rpm kind of guy) or Knoppix (install to hard drive), Gentoo or Debian SID?

I think Fedora Core 1 or 2 is better. RH7.3 is to...o old.

Status
Not open for further replies.