Status
Not open for further replies.

btbass

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Microchip have released a 32 bit micro family and a c compiler to go with it.
These babies look pretty powerful. Cant wait to try one out.

I just know that Microchip will release 32 Bit MCU. Thanks for the info

Thanks. and only ICD2 and REAL ICE suport it

1.5 DMIPS * 70MHZ = More powerful than ARM7

folks said:
Thanks. and only ICD2 and REAL ICE suport it

1.5 DMIPS * 70MHZ = More powerful than ARM7

If you install MPLAB 8.0 you will that that at the moment the ICD2 only support 1 or 2 of those chips, and is only beta support...

The Pic uses the MIPS32 M4K® processor core.
So there are a lot of tools out there to support this core.
Ive ordered the Starter KIt for £24. Ships sometime this month.

I think PIC32 it powerfull but output port run data 16 bit equal PIC24

Is it ARM? Can you make the link to information page?

linux on pic32:

**broken link removed**

This is from Microchip page

**broken link removed**

Anybody knows what's the market Microchip is targeting with this 32 bit processor?

I hope it won't just simply take its own 8 bit and 16 bit market as the dsPIC did.

I wonder why Microchip didn't adopt the ARM core instead of MIPS. ARM is more popular than MIPS plus many OS's and IDEs support ARM. Also several books are around.

Source:
**broken link removed**

what is the differance between MIPS and ARM?

For 32-bit MCU
ARM --> Cortex M3 (profile ARMv7-M)
MIPS --> MIPS32 M4K (profile MIPS16e)

I think both cores will be adopted by some companies.

I looked and some of the information is unavailable or unhelpful. I'll wait until a device is actually released before I get excited.

Now, it is still a bit early to say, we will wait and see.
Hope it won't be full of erratas like many PIC16s and PIC18s.

A new 32-bit microcontroller is a very complex beast and there are going to be some Erratas, the question is how they are handled. Some companies are very slow to publish the erratas, this incurs lots of work on the customer engineering site, some publish them fast but don't fix them fast, and some publish them and fix them fast. This order is from worst to best, as long as Microchip is fast in publishing and fixing, erratas are just a part of early adoption.
On the other hand, using a new device early gives you a headstart.
Our company has done some testing of the PIC32 with the Segger embOS and found the performance slightly above the top performers in the ARM7 / M3 world. Whether that is good enough to go for a single source device remains to be seen. It would be great to get a PIC32 device with integrated LCD controller as we are using some graphics in the user interface with emWin.

At least it has been a pleasant surprise to see so many 3rd party tools already supporting the PIC32.

Bob

Our tool preferences:
https://www.segger.com/microchip.html

Wait wait wait... I will wait until Microchip release their next generation of 32-bit processor. Like Bob said, too many erratas to worry about I afraid. I think Microchip is kind of "publish them fast but don't fix them fast" type.

Status
Not open for further replies.