Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New 32 bit Pic micros.

Status
Not open for further replies.

btbass

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Microchip have released a 32 bit micro family and a c compiler to go with it.
These babies look pretty powerful. Cant wait to try one out.

I just know that Microchip will release 32 Bit MCU. Thanks for the info

Thanks. and only ICD2 and REAL ICE suport it

1.5 DMIPS * 70MHZ = More powerful than ARM7

folks said:
Thanks. and only ICD2 and REAL ICE suport it

1.5 DMIPS * 70MHZ = More powerful than ARM7

If you install MPLAB 8.0 you will that that at the moment the ICD2 only support 1 or 2 of those chips, and is only beta support...

The Pic uses the MIPS32 M4K® processor core.
So there are a lot of tools out there to support this core.
Ive ordered the Starter KIt for £24. Ships sometime this month.

I think PIC32 it powerfull but output port run data 16 bit equal PIC24

Is it ARM? Can you make the link to information page?

This is from Microchip page

**broken link removed**

Anybody knows what's the market Microchip is targeting with this 32 bit processor?

I hope it won't just simply take its own 8 bit and 16 bit market as the dsPIC did.

I wonder why Microchip didn't adopt the ARM core instead of MIPS. ARM is more popular than MIPS plus many OS's and IDEs support ARM. Also several books are around.

Microchip Technology Inc., which climbed from 23rd place to first in the 8-bit microcontroller market in a span of 15 years, is set to take on the 32-bit MCU segment with designs based on MIPS Technologies Inc.'s M4K processing core. Microchip will announce the MCU family on Nov. 12, EE Times has learned.

The move opens the door to a new breed of microcontrollers with the potential to unseat traditional ASICs in consumer products such as digital cameras and DVD recorders. "It's a question of time before microcontrollers appear as a powerful engine in multimedia systems," predicted Max Baron, principal analyst and senior editor at the Microprocessor Report. "If system designers can replace an expensive ASIC with a microcontroller and a simple chip on the side, they will do it in a heartbeat."

While the MCU market is notorious for its bloody price battles, few in the industry believe Microchip will prove squeamish. "Microchip has grown to dominate the 8-bit MCU market by providing easy-to-use development systems and offering cost-effective solutions," said Tony Massimini, chief of technology at Semico Research Corp. The chip vendor also has a strong presence in distribution, especially for industrial controls, a factor potentially critical to 32-bit success, he said.

**broken link removed**

Microchip's decision to go with a nonproprietary MIPS core for its 32-bit MCUs is "a huge win" for MIPS, acknowledged Jack Browne, vice president of marketing at the intellectual-property provider.

Microchip's first 32-bit products aren't the highest performers or the lowest-power alternatives on the market, but Microchip is expected to take advantage of the scalability of the modern MIPS architecture. The company could also potentially leverage the range of analog IP that MIPS recently acquired when it purchased leading provider Chipidea.

Over time, the MIPS-Microchip pairing could shift the power balance in the standard-core-based MCU market. MIPS can offer an alternative to ARM for anyone not already in the 32-bit MCU market. Those who already have homegrown 32-bit controllers could supplement their ARM solutions with MIPS-based MCUs.

Until the Microchip deal, MIPS hadn't pursued the huge MCU market, although licensees Sony and NEC have used its cores in their 32-bit solutions. In contrast, ARM already has several licensees who have been shipping 32-bit MCUs for a few years. "These ARM vendors, in total, are the fastest-growing portion of the 32-bit-MCU segment," Massimini said.

As more customers start using MIPS-based MCUs as multimedia ac- celerators or co-processors, MIPS may have an advantage over ARM. "There is no need of an architecture license when using MIPS for co-processors," analyst Baron said, whereas ARM charges a licensing fee.

Source:
**broken link removed**

what is the differance between MIPS and ARM?

For 32-bit MCU
ARM --> Cortex M3 (profile ARMv7-M)
MIPS --> MIPS32 M4K (profile MIPS16e)

I think both cores will be adopted by some companies.

I looked and some of the information is unavailable or unhelpful. I'll wait until a device is actually released before I get excited.

Now, it is still a bit early to say, we will wait and see.
Hope it won't be full of erratas like many PIC16s and PIC18s. :)

A new 32-bit microcontroller is a very complex beast and there are going to be some Erratas, the question is how they are handled. Some companies are very slow to publish the erratas, this incurs lots of work on the customer engineering site, some publish them fast but don't fix them fast, and some publish them and fix them fast. This order is from worst to best, as long as Microchip is fast in publishing and fixing, erratas are just a part of early adoption.
On the other hand, using a new device early gives you a headstart.
Our company has done some testing of the PIC32 with the Segger embOS and found the performance slightly above the top performers in the ARM7 / M3 world. Whether that is good enough to go for a single source device remains to be seen. It would be great to get a PIC32 device with integrated LCD controller as we are using some graphics in the user interface with emWin.

At least it has been a pleasant surprise to see so many 3rd party tools already supporting the PIC32.

Bob

Our tool preferences:
https://www.segger.com/microchip.html

Wait wait wait... I will wait until Microchip release their next generation of 32-bit processor. Like Bob said, too many erratas to worry about I afraid. I think Microchip is kind of "publish them fast but don't fix them fast" type.

Status
Not open for further replies.