Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Negative voltage needed on IGBT gate ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrelux

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I am designing a 3 kW power charger with a classic architecture
230 AC mains -> rectifier +caps -> IGBT full bridge -> HF trafo -> Output Bridge -> Filter

I will use 4 HCPL 3120 opto drivers (2.5 A peak) to drive each of the STGE50NC60VD igbt's
Frequency on the gate switch is 20 KHz and total gate charge is 214 nC.

My question is relevant to the gate driver. On a theoretical point of view, I should use +15v -5 V as gate level voltage.
I want to use 4 small standard DC/DC 3 watts converters and they are available in +/- 15 V only.

What could happen if I use +/-15 volts instead of +15/-5 V ?
I have checked the datasheet of the switch and they accept +/- 20 V as Vge.

I have also seen some IGBT applications where negative voltage is not needed for turning off the device.
Should I use +15 volts only ?

Thanks for helping

It works without -neg volts which help for fast switching off the switch with additional stress to diver. At low frequency such as 20KHz, you can do without -neg voltage if driver properly designed.

if driver properly designed.

What do you think of this driver design ?
Notes:
All DC/DC converters are 3W +15/-15 volts
Theoretically, I could use 3 instead of 4 (1 converter for the 2 low side switches) but I will stick to 4.

gate_drive.png

Status
Not open for further replies.