Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Negative Resistance Transformation using Quarter Wave

Status
Not open for further replies.

hussard11

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everybody
I need to transform a negative resistance of -5980 Ohms into a smaller value as it has to be generate by a transistor (Mesfet) by using a characteristic impedance of 90 Ohms for example. I'm using a quarter wave transformer with the equation:
Zin=Zo^2/Rl. I'm getting only an imaginary part but my supervisor told me I should only obtain a real part.
Please someone help me.
THks by advance
Regards

if it has negative real part then something is wrong and can cause oscillation due to reflection waves. Where are you div your RI? Is it at the load? It should be at the load.

In fact , the real part has to be negative because im designing a negative resistance circuit the compensate the losses in a resonator.

you can take a looks at Razavi's books
he briftly metioned this topic.
basically his topology is like a cross-coupled Gm cell.
that helps with loss issue.

hi there, so have you figured out how to do it? I just learned how to do matching. This is very interesting thing and I would like to know the solution too. If you found out the solution, please shred some light me.

Status
Not open for further replies.