Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Needed helicopter charger from PC USB port

Status
Not open for further replies.

lgualla

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone, this is my first post in the forum and i'm a computer technician, not an electronic. Yet, every answer will be investigated to make it useful.

Here is the thing, the charger of my RC Helicopter blowed up.
My idea is to make a PC-USB charger. PC-USB deliver a 5v current and, in theory, 0.5 A.
The problem is that i don't know how to do it. What i do have is a lot of electronic components, a very light theory of how they work and of course Google ;-)

Questions:
-If i plug the battery of the RC helicopter directly to the USB port, It will drain out power indiscriminately until blow the port up too?​
-Does anyone knows or have a diagram of what i want to make?​

Thanks!
PD: The battery specs indicate that the recommended charge rate is 5v @ 0.3 A to 0.5 A

Hi everyone, this is my first post in the forum and i'm a computer technician, not an electronic. Yet, every answer will be investigated to make it useful.

Here is the thing, the charger of my RC Helicopter blowed up.
My idea is to make a PC-USB charger. PC-USB deliver a 5v current and, in theory, 0.5 A.
The problem is that i don't know how to do it. What i do have is a lot of electronic components, a very light theory of how they work and of course Google ;-)

Questions:
-If i plug the battery of the RC helicopter directly to the USB port, It will drain out power indiscriminately until blow the port up too?​
-Does anyone knows or have a diagram of what i want to make?​

Thanks!
PD: The battery specs indicate that the recommended charge rate is 5v @ 0.3 A to 0.5 A

The USB port is designed to power external devices or trickle-charge batteries. The USB has an internal protection which cuts the DC output if overloaded.

To charge a discharged battery often means that the battery behaves like a short for a short time.
You should know the helicopter battery charger pArameters, to prevent problems. If you blew the charging circuit, it may not be rated to operate from the 5VDC available on USB port. Maybe there was a capacitor charged to a higher voltage.

Modern batteries are sensitive to overvoltage. Making a good charger saves battery life. It is rarely allowed to combine non-specified power sources to chargers made to use a 4.5 V battery, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back