Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

NEED URGENT HELP ON POWER METER PIC16F877 AND 4-DIGIT 7-SEG

Status
Not open for further replies.

marabdul

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pic16f877 i2c led digits

Good Morning
please i`m trying to design power meter using pic16f877 and 7 segment display but my problem is the 7 segment multiplexing display. please help me realize the program in c and to be compiled using ccs c compilar.

thanks

multiplexing power meter

You can use a multiplexing approach, all the digit share the same data bus, every digit is drived by a single transistor each one which is connected to a single microcontroller input pin. Logic is simple, put the data for the digit 0 on the bus and switch on the digit 0, then after some time switch off this digit, put the data for the digit 1 and switch on the digit 1 and so on... just take care about flikering by using a suitable refresh rate, usually the switch on should be taken equal to 5 ms for every digit.

Bye
Pow

Re: NEED URGENT HELP ON POWER METER PIC16F877 AND 4-DIGIT 7-

Thankx for help but how do i get the 4 digits at the same time

You can't have the digits on at the same time, you've to turn on one digit at a time then turn-off the digit change the data on the common bus and turn-on the new digit and so on for all the digits in a cyclic way. This way to drive 7 segment led disply is called multiplexing.

If you're searching for a one device solution I can suggest to take a loook at this device (driver for a 4 digit led display with I2C bus):

**broken link removed**

With this solution you need only two pins from your microcontroller and also coding is very simple due to the standard I2C interface and protocol.

Hope it help

Bye
Pow

Thanks alot this will really help

can you help me get a power meter that would be directly connected to pic16f877a.. thanks a lot

Hi,
There is another way of doing this all use DS7912 it works on SPI Module of PIC and
in CCS requires no extra programming check this out it is easy to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.