Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need some advice about DSP studying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackwang

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how to study dsp

I have a fresh man, in the future, DSP is very important for hardware engineer.
so I have read several books of hardware and software design about DSP.
but I still can't find out the key.

who can give me some advice about DSP studying?
or introduce me some books that you think it good?

how to study digital signal processing

but I still can't find out the key.
What do you want to know or learn?
If you are going to learn about how to design a system based on existing DSP processor, i recommend you to study a real DSP, for example TI DSP (TMS320Cxxx). You can get the datasheets which describe the pipeline structure, instruction sets and software tools. You can find there how you can use a DSP to design a specific system.
If you want to learn about how to design a DSP processor, you should study computer architecture and Digital Signal Processing books to learn about pipelining, ... (hardware concepts) and how to process digital signals concepts.
If you are professional in hardware design, i recommend you to study Digital Signal Processing concepts. As you know, DSP processor is a specific processor including specific hardware to run algorithms needed to process signals efficiently. For example you can do FFT easily when you use a DSP processor. But if you use a general purpose processor, you have to write a code to do the FFT algorithm.

Regards,
KH

sites to study dsp

In fact, I want to use TI chip to design digital system.
but, I find that it is not easy to master the importance of every chip. I also read some datasheet, but i find it is a little complex to understand.
I want to know how to study quickly or effectively?

tms320cxxx chip programer

Therfore you just think about digital design based on DSP.
If you want to design a digital system based on TI products, you just need to know how to use them. I mean you should know set of instructions and how you can write a program. Therfore, you should work on TI's environment software like Code Composer Studio (CCS). You should work on the boards which include TI DSP and you can program them by usig CCS.
You have to cost a lot and if there is not a commercial product, i recommend you to forget it.
Another reason can be an academic purposes: So your school/university should provide these boards. I think it will be great to get experience on DSP programming.

Regards,
KH

Re: how to study DSP?

To study hardware you need a KIT with code examples. My "Hello, world" for every new processor was to switch a LED by pressing a button - it's interrupt, then try DMA, then connect KIT with PC via UART and go on till the end with different parts of processor. And don't use only C, real speed is assembler. AD has a very easy ASM.

how to study DSP?

hello Sahem

In general, the speed of assembler is higher than C.
but, I find it is a little difficult to choose the right instruction for designing some application.
can you give me advice?
"AD has a very easy ASM." AD is what?

how to study DSP?

In fact, I want to design these through TI Corp. DSP chip, in my opinion, this method is more universal.
to this, what do you give some advice?

Re: how to study DSP?

Unfortunately my experience in TI DSP is very small. All I can say is pay attention to parallel asm instruction, it's very difficult but usefull.

Status
Not open for further replies.