Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need opinion: wireless modem project

Status
Not open for further replies.

pisoiu

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I would like to hear some opinions about this idea: the nRF24 ic suite from nvlsi.no looks like a cheap sollutions for short range data communications in 2,4G ism band. Also it is easy to integrate (no saw, only an impedance matching net between its outputs and the antenna). Basically this chip can transmit/receive up to 1mbps, with a max output power of 0dbm. Putting near this a 8bit cpu with ppp core in it and eventually a pa/frontend which can deliver up to 22dbm, it is possible to build a wireless modem (connected to serial port) which can communicate with let's say an acces point based on the same chip. A wireless network can be established in this way with cheap components. The speed it is not so great, more like a normal modem on a pstn line, but it is cheaper than wireless spread spectrum cards. Opinions? 10q

hi .. i would say that you can beet the price of comercial 802.11b unit e.g. usb adapter fro $40 or pcmcia g standard for $50. Your advantage is that you can add inteligence by using mcu.

Hi cancel,
I will definetely beat the price, my initial calculations shows the cost of production somewhere around $20 (for the pc device connected to usb, not for an eventually access point or concentrator). The problem is that the device is a little bit...hmm..'non standard', and works at lower speed than 802.11. For an internet distribution network in a small/medium area, with some access points would be enough. Of course, those who want higher speed/traffic, will look for clasic sollutions, fiber, dsl, etc.

Hi pisoiu,

I'm very interested in such a project, but first of all, do you have any idea where can I order a small amount of those chips?

Hi !
How about to look at CHIPCON ZigBee solution ?
**broken link removed**

Hi divan,
chipcon is also a nice sollution, easy to integrate. Unfortunately, its max speed appear to be 250kbps. Nordic has 1mbps.
Zin, I have obtained some samples for prototyping from their representative, eurodis.

pisoiu said:
Hi divan,
chipcon is also a nice sollution, easy to integrate. Unfortunately, its max speed appear to be 250kbps. Nordic has 1mbps.
Zin, I have obtained some samples for prototyping from their representative, eurodis.

Can you tell me how to get samples from Nordic? Thanks.

I think this is not the right place to obtain a correct answer. This depends on many factors such as your location, nordic distributors in your area, etc. Please ask them directly at www.nvlsi.no , or follow the "contact us" link from their site and contact the nearest distributor.

/pisoiu

You do realize that something that costs you $20 to produce will sell for $60-$100 in the stores. Markup!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back