Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need of snubber with AC motor and triac?

Status
Not open for further replies.

toninlg

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
snnubers_necesary

I would like to control small AC induction motors (Imax=1A) with a triac in burst mode. Is there a need for a snubber for small current?
I think to use a MOC opto-isolator, can I use any triac with it execpt sensitive gate triac?

Thanks a lot.

snubber circuit bt134

If you intend to control an inductive load (motor) in burst mode with zero-crossing MOC then you can consider elimination or reduction of the snubber ..
Here is an article on "NEW TRIACS: IS THE SNUBBER CIRCUIT NECESSARY?"
which will help you in selection of a triac and snubber circuit while working with inductive loads:
**broken link removed**
For this application you may consider BT-series triacs, for example BT134: http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/B/T/1/3/BT134-500.shtml
Regards,
IanP

triac snubber

If there is a power supply loss, there could be a risk for the triac?
What do I have to take in account in order to calculate maximum dI/dt and dV/dt? I have got any idea on how to calculate them.

Thanks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.