Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need info on analog to digital converter PCM1803

Status
Not open for further replies.

swordz60

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello guys,
I wanted to order this neat ADC breakout board from sparkfun, which employs a PCM1803 chip to do the conversion. However, it is not available in my country and it seems to be discontinued elsewhere too. But I managed to get my hands on the PCM1803 chip itself, so I'd very much like to know whether I can make a breakout board of my own using this chip.
The reason I want to do this is because I have this 2004 Volvo S40, which has no aux input in its radio. So I found this neat tutorial https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...AUX-in-for-your-V50-basic-sound-system/page19 on how to retrofit the cd player of this car with an aux input by using the before mentioned sparkfun PCM1803 breakout board.
I don't have any experience with this kind of chips, but I have several years of experience on working with Atmegas and arduinos, so I just need a couple tips in order to know what I'm doing. So my question is this: what other components do I need to use with this chip so that it would work correctly?
Would it suffice to add capacitors, resistors and supply the correct voltage to the chip as it's shown in the schematic:
1zlukk8.png
I mean, do I need to connect anything to pins 7-12, 15-20 or is it optional?

Thank you in advance for all and any comments that might be helpful.

You're going to need a clock source at the very least
But this looks like waaaaaay more work than it's worth. Why not just get an rf modulator? Or a new car? That would be easier.

Why do you think so? I already managed to make some cd changer emulators for the same cause, using atmega. I figured it might need an external oscillator, as atmega does too. Is there something big I'm missing still?
ofwuwk.png
The guy seems to connect pins 10-12 of PCM1803 to cd pins WS, DATA and CLOCK respectively. Doesn't seem complicated to me. I mean, I don't see myself accepting this kind of work again, but I have to do it this time, unless there's absolutely no way to make it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back