Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need helps for Single-sideband modulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

awa_207

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear friends,
I have a question. Why we can't use SSB for complex signal?
Thanks.

Dear awa_207
Hi
What do you mean by complex signal , here ?
Respect
Goldsmith

Dear awa_207
Hi
What do you mean by complex signal , here ?
Respect
Goldsmith
Hi Goldsmith
It's the signal which formed after the IFFT transform in OFDM model.
P/s: My English is very bad @@!
Thank you.

Can someone give me some suggests?

My experience with SSB is with a shortwave radio.

I understand SSB is a way to broadcast a signal more efficiently. The signal consists of only one of the sidebands, after having removed the other sideband and the fundamental. What remains is a reduced spectrum of signal for the transmitter to amplify and broadcast. Hence what goes out on the airwaves is a stronger signal.

I could not receive SSB broadcasts until I obtained a higher-priced shortwave radio with a beat-frequency oscillator. It re-injects the carrier frequency so that the incoming SSB signal can merge with it, and become audible.

The BFO needs to produce the proper frequency. It cannot determine what it is by itself. I must tune it by hand. So I rotate the BFO knob, first one way, then the other, and I listen to the voice. As I do so, the incoming sound rises and falls in pitch.

I suspect that it's a challege to make circuitry that extracts a SSB signal. To begin with, it will have trouble locking onto the carrier frequency, since it is absent. If it adds a BFO waveform, then the signal will may or may not adopt a pitch that is predictable. It will be hard to make circuitry that filters it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.