Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help with this nice math problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jota

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
A coin with p{h}=p-1 is tossed n times. Show that the probability that the number of heads is even equals 0.5[1+(q-p)^n]

I appreciatte your any of your valuable contributions.
Thanks

Does p{h} mean p{Heads}? What is q?

p-heads
q-probability of not happening hats-(tails)

thanks

Added after 4 hours 55 minutes:

corection to the problem

A coin with p{h}=p=1-q is tossed n times. Show that the probability that the number of heads is even equals 0.5[1+(q-p)^n].

I found a hint for this problem. The hint is saying that we should write down the binomial theorem expansions of (q + p)^n and (q – p)^n, then add them together.
This would eventually result in expected solution-- 0.5[1+(q - p)^n]. The only problem is, I can not get to this expected solution. I need you help.

That's brilliant! Yes, the sum of all the even terms is just ((q+p)^n + (q-p)^n)/2, which is exactly your answer.

where do you get this 1 from? 0.5[1+(q-p)^n]. [/b]

p+q sure equals one as it conveys all the probabilities

Status
Not open for further replies.