Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with connecting MK111 / PMK111 / VM136 Velleman relay system (pulsing LED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markus3400

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey, new here and i'm stuck with how to connect the MK111 relay kit.

This is my circuit. The VM136 is the same as the MK111
Short description of the project:
For this years Roskilde-Festival, my camp and i decided to go for something a bit untraditional for our camp flag.. a homing beacon that we can spot from far far away.
We are putting a 1 meter diameter white ballon on top of a 8 meter high pole, and at night, the ballon is supposed to be lit up by 5 x 12V orange LED's that should be "breathing" (fading up and down, or at least down!)

I started out looking through youtube, and found a lot of solutions with the 555 chip, but for me building all that was a bit out of my comfort zone. So i found a relay, so that i also can set the pause time and pulse time!
Now i only need to figure out how to connect this relay, and this is were i need your help! :p

Here's my schematics of my circuit

Parts:
1 x 12V car battery
1 x VM136 / MK111 / PMK111 Interval timer relay
1 x 500Ω Potentiometer (to change the strength of the LED's)
1 x 6800uF 16V Electrolytic Capacitor (should give around 3 seconds of fade time, but i might switch it for one with less Farads)
5 x 12V Orange LED's (they have a built in resistor in each diode, so ready to use on 12V DC)

And this is the connection issue i have, cause i really don't know where to connect the "LED part" of the circuit, to this relay.

I would really appreciate if you could help me on how to connect the relay to my circuit! :D

any one?
Now i've tried running the positive side of the battery, into the COM connection, then out of the NO connection into the potentiometer and then into the LED's, but nothing happens :-(

Okay. i finally got it to work! :D

1 # +12V <- here goes the positive from the battery
2 # GND <- here goes the negative from the battery
1 # NO <- here goes the cable out from, to the LED's
2 # COM here goes the positive again, looped from 1 # +12V
3 # NC <- not used

then i had to loop from 2 # GND to the negative side of the LED.

Now it works! :D awesome!

Just a quick one.
If i add 5 more of the same LED's in parallel connection, would the fade time be shorter, so i would also need to upgrade the capacitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back