Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with building microstrip antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbhalerao

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Microstrip antenna

Hi to all,
I want to design a microstrip antenna having high feed point impedance (or high inpput impedance)... I know that I could get something in the order of 200-300 ohm.. I basically want to use the antenna in a rectenna and I want high voltage output from antenna ( current in order of 2-3 uA would do!!!)... But voltage should in order of 1 V.. Could I get a small sized microstrip antenna which has a feed impedance of 1 kohm (I have never come across such a thing...) Otherwise I figure I would just need to use a array of antennas..
Also could anyone give calculations for size of microstrip antenna at 2.4 GHz??
Thanking all in advance..
Regards..
Pheonix..

Re: Microstrip antenna

Hi,

Printed fractal antenna would give impedance as high as KΩ. You can go for Sierpinski fractals. The microstrip design for 2.4GHz would be 5cmx5cm approx. Even normal rectangular microstrips would fetch you high impedance depending on the feed location.

AK.

Microstrip antenna

For a full efficient patch antenna, consider 1/2 wavelenght. You can make it shorter by adding an irregularity inside the dielectric: for example a short (electric wall) between the the radiating element and the ground.

Using slot iside the patch can make it compact.

The design procedure for the antenna is given in Balanis. But you will have to tweak the design a little to meet your requirements. None the less calcultaions in Balanis can give you a starting point.
Abhishek

Microstrip antenna

Hi sbhalerao,

Since it's been more than 6 months since you started your design, I'm wondering what kind of antenna have you finally decided to design.

Did you try the fractal or just normal patch for yr rectenna.

Thank you for sharing.
oxo

I designed a folded patch antenna.... Its about (lambda)/16 sized antenna...
I did NOT get any method to increase the antenna impedane... So the output voltage was not that high... As a result, I used a array of such antennas..
I used Ie3D to simulate the folded patch antenna (its vertical folding) ... Iisa great simulator...
any thing else that you want to ask?

Hi Sbhalerao,

You can use inset fed microstrip antenna. The length of the inset can determine the inouyt impedance of the antenna, it can be tuned around 500 ohm, but I'm not sure about 1kohm.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back