Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help regarding PIC 16f877.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ganavel9783

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
16f877 usb

hi..
i'm doing a project titled:"PIC based Encryption & Decryption of text files"
well i'm doing my project source codes in Visual C++.I have to do the Advanced Encryption Standards (AES) algorithm in Visual C++ & implement it into PIC16f877.My questions are:

1) can i use MPLAB right away to compile Visual C++ codings so that i could get .asm files n .hex files?or do i need a software to convert Visual C++ codings to assembly language?

2) if so, can any1 suggest me a good software for this?

3) Can pic16f877 support the AES algorithm to be implemented into it?

4)How to interface PIc16f877 to PC using USB port?

5)Lastly, i have discussed with a few people about the use of visual basic instead of visual c++ to write the source codes for this project.wat i found is that its easier to write da source codes in VB rather than Visual C.But i need to know which one can support the implementation of AES algorithms into PIC16f877?

need advise....thanks

i m not so sure about the Visual c++ thing but there is c++ compiler for pic,

1.no for pic16 series michrochip dosent hav any compiler other than assembly at the moment.

2.there is a c++ compiler for pic called sourceboost, **broken link removed**

3.well i m not familier with the algo ur takin abt but its not the ques tat mcu supports or not, its ques abt the compiler supports or not, try ur self and find it out

4.some pic has built in usb ports like PIC18F2550, but if u want to connect a pic16f877 then u have use usb to serial converter like FT232BM / CP2101 this sort of chip or depending on ur design a universal USB-RS232 might work fine

5.again look at the compiler, and the specific library are not along with the compiler u hav to make by ur self

plz dont hesitate to ask if i m not still make u understand

regards

there are many c compiler that can compiler c/c++ source codes into hex that pic mcu can execute.

You can't transfer visual C++ code directly, because C++ compilers for PIC (MPLAB doesn't compile C or C++ code, it use another like CCS, IAR, C18) are different of visual C++ compiler, you can use some parts, but others the PIC compiler will give you errors. You have only make few adjusts ... I think PIC support EAS, but are you sure that PIC has sufficient memory(FLASH and RAM) do do this work? For reduce compatibility problems use strict ISO/ANSI conformance options to write code ..... but a suggestion, prefer C compilers because PIC arquiteture doesn't work well with pointers, and C++ classes generally have many usage of this resource .... and code grow up because of many code lines in assembler to do this.

leomecma

I think that this PIC is not suitable for that king of job, you should consider using some microcontroller from the 18F family.

For the USB connection the FTDI interfaces work just fine and it is not hard to write PC code in C++, C# or Delphi to deal with the USB port.

Can PIC16F877 support AES algorithms?

well for ur information Advance Encryption Standards (AES) has requirments as below:
1)Operates on fixed-length group of bits (block cipher)
2)Processes data as 4 groups 4 bytes(128 bits=>block size)
3)Symmetric key sizes(128,92 or 256 bits)
4)Has 9/11/13 rounds in which state undergoes(byte substitution,shift rows,mix coumns or add around key.)
5)For a 8 bit CPU:
i)Byte substitution works on bytes using a table of 256
entries
ii)Shift row is simple byte shifting.
iii)Add around key works on byte XORs
iv)Mix colums requires matrix multiply in GF(2 power to eight) which works on byte values,can be simplified to use a table for a lookup at a cost of 4kB.

>>My question are
1) Based on the AES requirements given, can PIC16f877 support its implementation?(PIC16f877: 8K X 14-bit word of Flash,368 X 8 bytes of Data memory,256 X 8 Bytes Eeprom)
2) Can C2C compiler of SourceBoost IDE support the compilation AES C++ codes?

Status
Not open for further replies.