Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help in designing the Boost converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

hridz

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am trying to design a boost converter for my project work in solar panel. but i am unable to do so. i am using IRF540 mosfet. the output voltage of the converter is less than the input voltage and with the change in duty cycle the output voltage is not changing at all. so guys can you tell me what is going wrong with my circuit.

maximum output voltage of the panel is 2V
i just want more than 2 V in the output.
inductor value is 10uH
capacitor value is 100uf

with regards
hridz

Try to attach the schematic diagram here… :-D

---------- Post added at 10:51 ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 ----------

current output of panel is 1.8v.

First need to change the 1N4007 diode with a schottky diode.
Secondly change the IRF530 picking a MOSFET with a low GS voltage
-or use a driver chip for this step-up power supply. You can find MOSFETs with low Vgs, but they also have high capacitance, so they are difficult to switch quickly enough without a driver chip.
-or use a bipolar transistor instead

Reactions: hridz

hridz

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Not sure what frequency you are driving the gate with but a guess based on the 10uH inductor would be 50KHz or more. The 1N4007 will not work at that speed, you must change it to a fast switching diode and preferable a Schottky barrier type which will also drop less voltage across it.

Brian.

Reactions: hridz

hridz

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks mister_rf and betwixt,

but my problem is that Schottky diode is not available here, i dont know what to do now ??? may be is there any other way solve this problem..????

Examples of schottky diodes:

1N5817/1N5818/1N5819
SB130/SB140/SB150/SB160
MBR150/MBR160
1N5820/1N5821/1N5822/

Use any secondary diodes from some defective PC power supply. :-D

I have got some diode from a SMPS-

these are 2A05, PR1007, FR154, SB340

will any of these work?????

Last edited:

I am trying to control the Gate of the mosfet using PWM from microcontroller. so i am not sure whether PWM is working or not??? in DSO the square waves are coming and with the change in duty cycle the on time is also changing.

it is difficult to find boost converter which will operate below 2V of power source, such chips will found in mobiles and difficult to solder for hobbyist. it is better to wire solar pannels in such a way to give 4V and above, so we can use commonly available boost converters. any how i found two converters which will operate on 2V.
www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/lineartechnology/3429f.pdf
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back