Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help for designing circuit for LEDs of car

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonnightingale

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to simulate a circuit of car in a software. There are three lights on each side of a car. when the car is given instruction to turn, these lights operate in a sequence. First of all inner light then inner two and then inner three and this procedure is repeated. For both right turn and left turn it follows this procedure.
There is also a emergency input (Hazard light) which flashes all six LEDs as on/off/on and so one
I have to design a sequential circuit for above stated
Can u tell me the components which will be used for this circuit
Thanks

I am using 4017 IC but this IC swiches on only one LED at a time
what i need that first LED glow, then first two and than all three for the turn
which IC i should use

Last edited:

It's really a job for a small microprocessor but if you want to stay with the 4017 thisi s what you do:

Manufacturers use different letters but I'm going to call the output pins 'Q'.

For the inner light, connect the output through diodes to each of Q0, Q1 and Q2,
For the middle light connect through diodes to Q1 and Q2.
For the outer light connect through a diode to Q2. Technically, you can omit this diode but it might cause a mismatch in LED brightness if you don't use it.

The idea is that the 4017 sequences Q0 then Q1 then Q2. When any of these is '1' the inner LEDs will be turned on but not the others. When Q1 goes to '1' the diodes conduct and the middle light also turns on. when Q2 goes to '1' the outer LEDs are also turned on. The other diodes keep the rest of the LEDs turned on as well.

Brian.

I think it will be easier with micro controller, some PIC will do the job for you. You have the flexibility to program the sequence and the delays. It will be also very easy to change it without changing the schematic.

Hi,
The sequence you are asking of the LEDs to glow and go off is not possible with discrete components, as it will be a junk on the PCB and at the same time not be feasible to produce as the cost will go high where as the same functions and many others can be programmed into a Microcontroller which will work more efficiently and with a low cost as compared to the discrete components.
Hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.