Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help for ADS S-parameter simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffreycheng

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
calculating q from y-parameters

I have got the S-parameters of a Sprial inductor. How can I get the inductor's Q and value in ADS? Thank you.

converting y-matrix to s-matrix ads

You can convert it to Y-parameters and then, you can calculate L=(1/2*pi*f)*imaginary(1/Y11) for an inductor with port 2 grounded, else it will be 1/Y12 instead of Y11 if you need the inductance from terminal 1 to 2.

svarun

calculate inductance y-parameters

use S2P and set the file to your s2p file
and use S parameter simulation, check Y parameter
and then calculate the inductance and Q
according well konw equation

ads s-parameter simulation

Hello jeffreycheng,

It is very easy to calculate....
The Quality Factor (Q) based on single port
Q=mag( imag( Y11 ) / real( Y11 ) )

Use Sonnet Lite Free version to import the spiral S parameters then plot the Q....
I attached a simple example...

---manju--

ads s-parameter simulation

Thank you all.
I suppose there are some tools or functions in ADS could turn the components' S-parameters to conponent value and Q.

Re: converting y-matrix to s-matrix ads

You can convert it to Y-parameters and then, you can calculate L=(1/2*pi*f)*imaginary(1/Y11) for an inductor with port 2 grounded, else it will be 1/Y12 instead of Y11 if you need the inductance from terminal 1 to 2.

svarun

Thank for your advice. However, I have not known how to convert S-parameters to Y-parameters. Can you show more detail?

Thank for your advice. However, I have not known how to convert S-parameters to Y-parameters. Can you show more detail?

In ADS? Just add this equation to your data display: Y=stoy(S)

In ADS? Just add this equation to your data display: Y=stoy(S)

12-10-11 9-55-38 PM.png

Thank volker_meuhlhaus. My schematic for simulation is included in attachment. I followed some instructions, but result is wrong.

12-10-11 10-00-33 PM.png

Can anyone help me? Thank so much.

Attachments

• 12-10-11 9-55-38 PM.png
    12-10-11 9-55-38 PM.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 499

I don't see a mistake (except that this is single ended L and Q, not differential).

Test your simulation by replacing the S2P file with an ADS inductor element. This is to make sure the problem is not in the s2p file.

I don't see a mistake (except that this is single ended L and Q, not differential).

Test your simulation by replacing the S2P file with an ADS inductor element. This is to make sure the problem is not in the s2p file.
I draw a planar spiral inductor in HFSS, simulate and extract S-parameter into s2p file. After that I use ADS to calculate inductance of my inductor.

I understand what you do, and suggested a way to troubleshoot your equation with a known inductance value (circuit element).

I understand what you do, and suggested a way to troubleshoot your equation with a known inductance value (circuit element).

I'm sorry. Because I'm in a hurry. I read your suggestion but I don't know what I should do. I worried that I cannot ask you too much and you don't have time to answer my foolish questions. I'm ever so sorry. I greatly appreciate your kindness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back