Not open for further replies.

jeffreycheng

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
calculating q from y-parameters

I have got the S-parameters of a Sprial inductor. How can I get the inductor's Q and value in ADS? Thank you.

converting y-matrix to s-matrix ads

You can convert it to Y-parameters and then, you can calculate L=(1/2*pi*f)*imaginary(1/Y11) for an inductor with port 2 grounded, else it will be 1/Y12 instead of Y11 if you need the inductance from terminal 1 to 2.

svarun

calculate inductance y-parameters

use S2P and set the file to your s2p file
and use S parameter simulation, check Y parameter
and then calculate the inductance and Q
according well konw equation

ads s-parameter simulation

Hello jeffreycheng,

It is very easy to calculate....
The Quality Factor (Q) based on single port
Q=mag( imag( Y11 ) / real( Y11 ) )

Use Sonnet Lite Free version to import the spiral S parameters then plot the Q....
I attached a simple example...

---manju--

ads s-parameter simulation

Thank you all.
I suppose there are some tools or functions in ADS could turn the components' S-parameters to conponent value and Q.

Re: converting y-matrix to s-matrix ads

You can convert it to Y-parameters and then, you can calculate L=(1/2*pi*f)*imaginary(1/Y11) for an inductor with port 2 grounded, else it will be 1/Y12 instead of Y11 if you need the inductance from terminal 1 to 2.

svarun

Thank for your advice. However, I have not known how to convert S-parameters to Y-parameters. Can you show more detail?

Thank for your advice. However, I have not known how to convert S-parameters to Y-parameters. Can you show more detail?

In ADS? Just add this equation to your data display: Y=stoy(S)

In ADS? Just add this equation to your data display: Y=stoy(S)

Thank volker_meuhlhaus. My schematic for simulation is included in attachment. I followed some instructions, but result is wrong.

Can anyone help me? Thank so much.

Attachments

• 12-10-11 9-55-38 PM.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 518

I don't see a mistake (except that this is single ended L and Q, not differential).

Test your simulation by replacing the S2P file with an ADS inductor element. This is to make sure the problem is not in the s2p file.

I don't see a mistake (except that this is single ended L and Q, not differential).

Test your simulation by replacing the S2P file with an ADS inductor element. This is to make sure the problem is not in the s2p file.
I draw a planar spiral inductor in HFSS, simulate and extract S-parameter into s2p file. After that I use ADS to calculate inductance of my inductor.

I understand what you do, and suggested a way to troubleshoot your equation with a known inductance value (circuit element).

I understand what you do, and suggested a way to troubleshoot your equation with a known inductance value (circuit element).

I'm sorry. Because I'm in a hurry. I read your suggestion but I don't know what I should do. I worried that I cannot ask you too much and you don't have time to answer my foolish questions. I'm ever so sorry. I greatly appreciate your kindness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…