Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help for a project (resistor question)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitrothugg

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i need help selecting the proper resistor for my application. any help would be appreciated.

i have a battery source of 7.2 volts and i need to drop it down to 1.3 volts at 2 amps. can someone please figure out the resistor i would need to accomplish this?

If you know ohms law its very simple.

Voltage you want to drop using resistor is 7.2 - 1.3 = 5.9 v and the current flowing through your resistor is 2 amps. To get 5.9v across resistor at 2 amp use ohms low R = V/I. You need 2.95 ohms :)

Well in this case your resistor should be rated for 5.9 * 2 = 11.8 watts (i.e. for DC, P = VI) if you use resistor with less power rating it will burn.

Mind you this is a criminal waste of power. What's your exact application? There has to be a better way around throwing away 11.8 watts of power. Especially when it's a battery. There's no garuntee that your battery can even source that much current to begin with. 1.3 volts at 2 amps only sounds like 3watts, but to get that 1.3 volts you have to waste 11 watts of power. At 2 amps a 1000mah 7.2volt battery will provide that power for about 30 minutes, and that's not going to be anywhere NEAR a linear voltage/current for the discharge. For a NiMH battery pack this would be strainging the pack more than you should. Can you detail more of your project? I'm sure a much better sollution could be found if you supplied more information.

hi

why would you like to use a resistive down conversion. u can use a zener or u can use commonly available power regulators for typical values 1.8v, 3.3v to down convert your voltage. im not sure whether 1.3 volt supply is available. u can use a 1.8 v converter and use a resistive down conversio. as it would'nt eat much power.
i hope im getting to the point. if im wrong plz correct me

Or you can use 2 high value resistors to get your voltage and have that voltage pass through a buffer that can supply your amps at 1.3V.

for example

use 1.3 : 5.9 ratios for your resistor. then buffer this through a opamp with high current output.

1.3 volts at 2 amps
use ZENER diode.. and then drop it further by resistors..
don't use small resistors directly across battery, it will sink a lot current...
another option is use approach like the following..
let u have 6 Volt battery..
use 3 high resistance resistors, so that it will sink very less current..each will have a drop of 2 volts.. then u can use this 2 volts by further implementation of this 2 volts in parallel..
there are infinite ways.........to implement anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back