Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need guidance on 4x4 keypad interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

jianhuachews

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys.

Ok i have been googling and looking up in the forums for days but i still am very unsure about keypad interfacing. I want to design a 4x4 keypad decoder in FPGA using vhdl, and then display it on the 7 segment led of my nexys 2 spartan 3e board.

When pressed, ie: 5, on the keypad, the 7 segment should show a 5.

I understand that a 4x4 keypad has 4 inputs and 4 outputs (row and column) but how do i go about scanning which keys are actually detected? I've seen this term called like "de-bounce" but i totally has no idea what it really does. Also, how do i know which 2 pins of the keypad are for which push buttons?

I'm really confused on what i should do. Do i need a block diagram to implement this so that it'll be easier for me to understand?

Last edited:

interfacing keypad with microcontroller: **broken link removed**

Lets say i have a row - R0,R1,R2,R3 and column - C0,C1,C2,C3 (to scan which keys are pressed) and i tie all the rows to high impedance, '1', while columns, i have it running using shift register (ie; 0111, 1011, 1101, 1110).

I was told that i will need a ring counter too but the thing is im lost, after reading up on ring counter. Ring counter works entirely like a shift register isn't it?

can anyone correct me if i'm wrong? anyone, enlighten me please....

--Edit with block diagram uploaded.

Photo0189.jpg

Photo0190.jpg

*YellowCircled - Column
*RedCircled - Ring Counter

Last edited:

ok i supposed the ring counter in the block diagram are used for my 4-digit 7 segment. Does it sound right, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.