Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need Advice Soldering Small Circuitry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellot

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I need some help removing and soldering very small circuitry parts. I previously posted about a problem I had with my Casio Boulder cell phone. I have another phone for spare parts and my goal is to remove the memory chip from one phone and put it into the other so that I can remove the data from it. I've taken it apart and the circuitry is extremely intricate.

I need some tips and techniques on how I can remove and solder the chips. I'm dealing with millimeters pretty much.

I can post a picture if that will help.

I really appreciate any help,
thanks

Specialized tools and techniques are required to work with surface mount devices (SMD), even more so for removal than placement. The problem is compounded by fine pitch components on high density printed circuit boards (PCB) such as a cell phone. Just to give you an idea what's involved, take a look at this video where mostly unspecialized tools are used in less than ideal ways on an easy practice PCB: YouTube - Surface Mount Soldering 101. I don't recommend that you attempt this repair since you have no training in SMD soldering but if you decide to attempt this repair, practice your techniques on scrap boards first. Most colleges that have an electronics program offer a surface mount technology (SMT) soldering class but there may be some prerequisite course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back