Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need a voltage limiter

Status
Not open for further replies.

sudil99

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have an amplifier is designed to amplify the signal so that output is max. 2.5 V because my ADC can read only upto 0 - 2.5 V. But my circuit uses +5 and -5 V supply.
So I need a voltage limiter which can cut out output beyond that range.

I used a resistor with zener diode of 2.7V and 3.3V, but zener diodes are not sharp at such ranges.
Voltage divider at output doesn't work because I need only positive output.
Currently I am using 4 diodes to limit voltage upto 2.8V and in parallel with 1 diode in opposite direction to limit voltage upto -0.7 V.

Is there any better solution?
(I cannot change my supply voltage because of other components)

Thanx

What is the maximum input voltage of your ADC? If it's the supply voltage then you just need a series resistor and one diode to ground.

my adc can read from 0 to 2.5V.
I dont know the absolute rating because it was not provided in the datasheet.

If your amplifier is an opamp:
1) Can you adjust the gain of the amplifier so that your signal is < 2.5V?
2) or can you reduce the input voltage so that the amplifier output is less?
I'm very surprised that the adc does not give a "do not exceed" input level.

Ya, I have set the gain of the opamp such that it amplifies the signal to 2.5 V. But since I am dealing with very small signal (EEG), sometimes noises are bigger than signal. In that case, the noises can go higher than 2.5 V.

Can you reduce the DC bias voltage to the opamp to something like 4V?
Can you put a 3.3V buffer (or double inverter) between the opamp and ADC?

my adc can read from 0 to 2.5V.
I dont know the absolute rating because it was not provided in the datasheet.
What is the part no. of the ADC. I would be very surprised if the maximum ratings info is not on the datasheet.

I am using TSP65950 which has in-built ADCs

Sorry, that I did not described properly. I am using a board called gumstix, which has TSP65950 in it. So, it is internally powered by gumstix, which needs 5V supply.

I just have problem with my output connection to adc. I wanted to see if anybody could suggest me a simpler voltage limiter circuit. Right now I am using the diodes (in fig) which limilts voltage from -0.3 to +2.9 V

voltage limiter.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back