gulagman145

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Gents!

I'm looking to make a circuit that is able to do the following:

-Record the time that occurrence 'X' happens down to the nanosecond time-scale. (say I flip a switch, I need the time in ns it occurrs to be recorded somehow in hardware)

-Do the above with 'occurrences' happening as often as around 10ns from each other

-Record for up to a given time and then transmit a list of all the times at which 'X' occurred to a PC

My first thought is to use a RAM chip (the board-mount component, not a RAM PCA for a computer) to record the time of the 'occurrence' signal. The 'time' is simply a 1ns pulser running a counter. I hesitate however because I know even high-end RAM chips have a latency in the ns-range for changing row/column in write operations, which would lose the time of the signal (albeit by nanoseconds).

I apologize if this isn't the correct area to post- I did search and couldn't find a previous post that really addressed my needs.
Looking forward to your criticism and ideas!

Search for "time to digital"

Thanks for the help, did you have a specific thread? That search returns 20 pages and I didn't see anything generally related unless I overlooked it...

Status
Not open for further replies.