Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My line follower robot

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechatronicsBlogger

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
So I decided to start building a line follower robot.
This far I've only come to a first prototype that I've written some about here:
https://mechatronicsblogger.blogspot.se/2013/12/line-follower-robot-prototype.html

I haven't done anything new on the robot for a few months but I hope to resume the project anytime soon and update this thread.

Here is a video of how it's performing at the moment:

The angle is controlled by a common PD controller and the speed is set in correlation with the angle error. I haven't yet tried any other controller structures, but have a few ideas laying on the stack so to say.

Many parts are overdimensioned and contributes to unnecessary rotational inertia and the sensor array that senses the line should have a lot higher resolution in order to be highly performing i believe.

Next step is to build a PC interface with a GUI to make troubleshooting and optimization easier. Then I would try to get the best possible perfomance out of the current hardware before building a next concept.

That is a big accomplishment.

Your robot's steering response is very smooth. It travels about the same speed as the line follower I once had, from a store-bought kit called 'Movit'.

The control circuit was surprisingly simple. Two photosensors and a comparator, alternately switching on two drive motors, very rapidly.

Thank you, though this a first prototype and I'm hoping that I eventually will have a significantly faster version.

hi
If you want to get a higher speed, I suggest you lengthening the appropriate distance between the sensor and the car,Using more sensors that can help you better access path.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.