Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My chip is burned down, need your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

welton

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
My chip is burned down, it was burned after a long operation during tests. It's a 1A charger IC. I have tested several tens chips, but 2 were damaged. I saw Supply current is current limited by my setting(2A), VBAT current is ~30mA, and then chip was burned down.
1) Could you help me to figure out what're the causes in your experience?
2) Will latch-up result in this condition? When the circuit might cause latch-up condition, will all chips fabricated latched-up?
3) When lath-up condition happens in some chip, will this chip be damaged and never be powered up or never works?
Thanks for your help.

1. Check layout of your pcb-board. Improper layout can lead to voltage or current spikes.
2. Check inductor for saturation.
3. Check temperature of chip and other components
4. Find latch-up current for every pin of your chip. It must be at least 100 mA
5. Ask your foundry results of OLT (operation life test) for every element of technology

Hi fragment,
I am sorry I didn't describe in detail.
The situation is, when I was doing short circuit TESTs, the IC is biased at trickle condition.
1) VIN=+5V, VBAT=0V(in trickle charge condition), TEMP=1.5V(normal condtion).
2) I used a metal wire to short VBAT and TEMP, there is a large current(2A, current limited by 1.5V supply) flow into E-load. This should be normal condition because E-load should sink the current.
3) When I try to touch on and off the metal wire(to let the VBAT and TEMP switch between short and open condition), IC was burned down. I de-cap the IC and found the damaged place is near the Source of the power PMOS.
I have no idea why it happened because during normal operations, the current is more then 1A, and the chip works well.
Please help me.
Thank you very much!

I don't see, how the issue can be discussed seriously without knowing the device circuit and the test setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back