Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MSP430 drawing more current - help

Status
Not open for further replies.

veerasamy

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All,

I have a problem in using MSP430. I have designed the MSP430 board. Vcc is 3V. clk is 12MHz. I still didnt connect anything to GPIO. Actually I have connected only power supply and clock. but the microcontroller is drawing 178mA of current and resistance between Vcc and Vss is only 17 ohms. Is this natural or is there any problem. In datasheet it says that current consumed is only 6mA max. Please clarify. ( I must inform that I am fresher to the controllers ).

:|

have you any schematic?
where and how you measure current?

I dont have the schematic. I found that it is taking more current through the voltage regulator's indicator.

Hello!

Power consumption of MSP430 may be influenced by port status. Did you set
the ports in input? Output? Did you use the internal pullups?
Beside this, if you have just soldered a new chip without loading any program
in it, you cannot predict what will be its behavior. When you power it, it tries
booting. If there is nothing in the flash, I am not sure the behavior is consistent.
Try to write a minimalistic program to define its state, and measure again.

By the way, what is the voltage regulator indicator?

Dora.

Status
Not open for further replies.