Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MPLAB-SIM and UART for PIC16F871

Status
Not open for further replies.

ananth

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
mplab sim uart

Hello everyone,
I've been trying to find documentation that guides me in the usage of MPLAB-Sim's uart usage but haven't been able to find anything yet.

I know there's a tab in MPLAB sim that allows you to begin the process, but if there's something descriptive like a tutorial or something where this has been implemented, it'd be great to go through that before beginning the process. I'm trying to understand someone else's code and MPLAB-sim has been great till now in helping me through that.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Ananth.

sim uart mplab

Hi blueroomelectronics,
Thanks for that info.. Okay,, so now that I have that figured out, what are my options? Is there anything else I could use? I looked through the oshonsoft's IDE but it seems like it works only with "Basic" programming. My code is in "c".

My primary objective is to check the UART's working via a simulation.

Thanks,
Ananth.

mplab sim

As best I can recall MPSIM does support Async modes but not Synchronous modes or advanced EUSART functionality.

Proteus fully models all modes on all supported variants - specify the COF file output by your compiler as the program property of the PIC schematic part and then wire the desired device or graph probes to the output pins.

Iain.

sim uart

Hello Iain,
Thanks for that info man! Thats a major booster.. Now, the step I guess would be for me to find some documentation about how to implement this stuff.
Could you help me out a little bit in that regard? I haven't been able to find anything on the internet about this.
Blueroom electronics probably meant the synchronous stuff but I want to simulate asynchronous I/O

Ananth.

mplab sim uart1

--- In , "jrem" <jrem123@y...> wrote:
>
> Will MPLAB emulate the USART correctly? i.e., if I have the asm set
> up for USART, and if I make a transmission, does the TX bit flip on
> and off in MPLAB as I step through the program? Also, does PIR1<4>
> work correctly in the emulator? Or am I required to debug on
> hardware?
>
> I can't seem to find anything in the MPLAB users guide regarding
> this. So right now I don't know if I'm headed in the right direction.
>
> Thanks a million . . . John.

open up mplab go to help/topics/mplabsim/limitations. You'll find
that it doesn't support serial I/O emulation.

mplabsim uart

You can use either the UART tab or register injection - see attached from the MPSIM help file.

Note Async only and not EUSART features (ABD, etc.).

Iain.

Hi friend,

I have use PIC18 Simulator IDE from Oshon Software Homepage
for UART Simulation for PIC18F Series since last three year.

For PIC32MX575F256H Microcontroller,
I have use MPLAB ICD 3 and PICkit 3 for debugging process for UART Communication and also USB communication
and i am satisfy.

You can try this.
Hope this is help you.
Shyam
INDIA

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.