Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Moving message display using LEDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

learner71

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear Friends,
I want to make moving message on LEDs. But i am not able to make diagonal leds on. Can anyone tell me, how can i make diagonal leds on.

When i am doing this, it makes all the leds in on state.

I am totally confused, how others are doing this?

--------
Learner

Hi learner,

Let us assume we have 8x8 pixels connected as a matrix so that we have 8 terminals for rows and 8 terminals for columns.

Let us also assume that each row is a common cathode and each column is a common anode.

So, when a row terminal is connected to ground (by an NMOS transistor for example), every LED that has its PMOS transistor on (to Vcc), will light.
To produce a frame having diagonal on LEDs, it is necessary to drive the LEDs as the following steps:

Turn on row 1 and col 1
Turn on row 2 and col 2
Turn on row 8 and col 8
Then again
Turn on row 1 and col 1
... etc

The trick is, we need to make these steps quickly so that the eye will see a frozen frame. Therefore the period of each step should be made rather short.
For this 8x8 matrix, I am sure that a period of 2ms is adequate but you can always experiment the effect produced by longer periods than 2ms.

Kerim

checkout this site for tutorial thogh its in assembly language but u will get the basic talkingelectronics.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back