Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Moved] Which tool to use for connecting wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaycec

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
DSC02804.JPGDSC02805.JPG

Hi all
I dont know where exactly to put this thread so please forgive me if i put it on the wrong place.
i bought connectors like shown in the image and crimp for them.I thought of using ordinary pliers to connect wire to crimp but i later found that connecting crimp and wire using pliers will result in poor joint ,which will be difficult to push into connectors female part.So please suggest me the best tool to do the task perfectly.
thanks in advance.

Hi,

Molex connector pins; they can be attached with small pliers but as you have found they can easily slide off as its difficult to properly crimp the wire in place.

I attach them with pliers but then run a bit of solder around the wire / crimp area being careful not to leave too much solder on the connector otherwise it does not fit into the housing.

There are proper crimping tools but generally too expensive for the hobbyist.

Reactions: bigdogguru

bigdogguru

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
    V

There are proper crimping tools but generally too expensive for the hobbyist.

The technique wp100 describes is a good one.

I would also have to agree with wp100 that the "Molex" brand crimpers are horrifically expensive, generally in the $200 to $500 range, not to mention the number of variations of the crimp/connector style.

There are some less expensive alternatives, IDEAL offers a crimping tool for less than $50 and various dies for around $30.

They offer what they describe as a "ring tongue terminal" die, probably to avoid a lawsuit, which will work with the terminal/connector you have pictured.

Although, I would still apply some solder as wp100 suggested.

BigDog

V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back